Tag Archives: Shipping Container

Patch Update…

Happy new year everyone!  We have not heard anything yet from the council regarding our planning application but we’re keeping our fingers crossed.  More trees arrived from Martin Crawford at the end of November and we planted the remaining food forest specimens straight away.  We also got a bunch of shrub and understory soft fruit and various other interesting bushes which we planted too.  Using cardboard we heavily sheet mulched around each tree creating small guilds and covered over with plenty of 15 year old horse poo and then green waste top dressing for mulch.  This should hopefully kill back the grass whilst providing some extra organic material to our sandy soil whilst the fruit trees are establishing.  Work on the roof continued and we’re close to finishing off now. We’ve completed the turfing and put the weather boarding around the outside. A gutter for water catchment is all that’s needed to finish off.  It’s a strange feeling putting in so much work at the patch and to be leaving it all behind but on our return to England we will have some well established fruit trees hopefully.  Best news of all is that Nina and I booked our tickets to leave England and we’ll be heading off on our first leg to Australia by bus to Morocco in 2 weeks!  From there we’ll begin to plan the rest of our journey and we’ll be doing the first of our Wwoof to Oz exchanges.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

The Planning Application

When we arrived back to The Patch after a couple of music festivals in mid July we were surprised to find a planning enforcement notice attached to the new roof we had erected.  It turns out that as we have less than 5 hectares we need to submit a planning application even for a small agricultural building like the one we have built.  It has taken a little while to understand the requirements,  gather the information and find the confidence to do the technical drawing myself but this weekend we made the submission online to Breckland Council.  Fingers crossed.  As well as the drawing which I really enjoyed doing I have learnt how useful google sketchup can be for 3D design.  Check out the pics.

Moving the container

Clare and I dug the footing for the container.  We filled the whole with hardcore and then 40mm gravel before wheelbarrowing a couple of tonnes of gravel to go underneath some railway sleepers.  Once this was in place we tried to move the container.  It didn’t work…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Project Patch – January

Having returned from Australia with a firm idea of how to progress with The Patch the first thing was to dig some footings for the shipping container to be moved onto.  My sister also had a lovely contorted hazel that she wanted moving from the garden.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.