Most of our carrots seem to be ready and we’re picking them as we need them at the moment…stacking in time!!! Nina has been busy foraging hazels, crab apples and blackberries from around The Patch and has made some delicious jam that I’m sure we will eat into the winter! The green roof has taken well and we are keen to get it finished now. We’re now on the hunt for plenty of cardboard and organic mulch for the fruit tree’s in the food forest. We will be creating a guild around each tree with a large area of cardboard covered in some well rottened poo and straw mulch or 18 day compost if we can get some made up soon. We will then plant some fruit, herbaceous perennials and other supporting plants. This will create small islands within the food forest that in time will be expanded to form a large and balanced eco-system.
Posted in Food, Permaculture
Tagged Beneficial Insect Plants, Design, Food Forest, Foraging, Fruit, Green Roof, Guilds, Jam, Natural Building, Patch, Preserving, Veg, Wild Food
Following the PDC Michelle hosted an NVC introduction before we started the internship project. Due to the urgency of water needs on site we decided to direct our efforts there. A structure was designed and built using mostly natural or recycled materials and with the help of all the folk who stayed on to help in a matter of days we had the beginnings of our water harvesting system.
We decided on a green roof, partly to fit more into the landscape but also to make use of resources we had on site. This will slow the water collection down but should make little difference once at saturation point. The multi functionality of the structure offers protection to the secure storage facility whilst allowing some space for shelter when outdoor workers need it. It also provides a wildlife habitat and cuts down on rain noise. Finishing touches have been held up due to a planning enforcement notice.
Clare and I dug the footing for the container. We filled the whole with hardcore and then 40mm gravel before wheelbarrowing a couple of tonnes of gravel to go underneath some railway sleepers. Once this was in place we tried to move the container. It didn’t work…