On May 25, people around the world will unite to March Against Monsanto.
- Research studies have shown that Monsanto’s genetically-modified foods can lead to serious health conditions such as the development of cancer tumors, infertility and birth defects.
- In the United States, the FDA, the agency tasked with ensuring food safety for the population, is steered by ex-Monsanto executives, and we feel that’s a questionable conflict of interests and explains the lack of government-lead research on the long-term effects of GMO products.
- Recently, the U.S. Congress and president collectively passed the nicknamed “Monsanto Protection Act” that, among other things, bans courts from halting the sale of Monsanto’s genetically-modified seeds.
- For too long, Monsanto has been the benefactor of corporate subsidies and political favoritism. Organic and small farmers suffer losses while Monsanto continues to forge its monopoly over the world’s food supply, including exclusive patenting rights over seeds and genetic makeup.
- Monsanto’s GMO seeds are harmful to the environment; for example, scientists have indicated they have caused colony collapse among the world’s bee population.
What solutions do we advocate?
- Voting with your dollar by buying organic and boycotting Monsanto-owned companies that use GMOs in their products.
- Labeling of GMOs so that consumers can make those informed decisions easier.
- Repealing relevant provisions of the US’s “Monsanto Protection Act.”
- Calling for further scientific research on the health effects of GMOs.
- Holding Monsanto executives and Monsanto-supporting politicians accountable through direct communication, grassroots journalism, social media, etc.
- Continuing to inform the public about Monsanto’s secrets.
- Taking to the streets to show the world and Monsanto that we won’t take these injustices quietly.
We will not stand for cronyism. We will not stand for poison. That’s why the world shall March Against Monsanto.
I send this information out to people with the hope that some of you folk can represent in our absence, as will be on Lombok island, Indonesia…
Find one of the 330 cities already participating: http://bit.ly/ZTDsk8
Or you can do some kind of online thing like we will…
by checking the link here http://on.fb.me/ZUxe3o
say no to monsanto!!!
Posted in Appropriate Technology, Building, Diploma, Environment, Food, Health, Music, Permaculture, Random, Travel, Wwoofing
Tagged Activism, Cancer, Genetically modified, GM Free, March Against Monsanto, No GM, Organic, politics, tumors