I’m writing this post from a blue washed rooftop in Chefchaouen, Morocco. We arrived a week ago after a fairly hands on last week at the Patch in England. We managed to do everything we felt we needed to do to leave it in a good place for the future.
The Main achievement was turfing, sealing, tidying and guttering the roof and setting up the water tanks. With the help of Dad and a few days graft we should now always have water on site to help keep the young fruit trees nourished in their early years. Still no news on the planning application however the water tanks are essential to good harvests in years to come. With more help this time from Mum and Nina’s tireless shit shovelling efforts we managed to sheet mulch every single tree and section of hedging that was planted last year.
Two or three soft fruits were planted around each fruit tree, and many interplanted with nitrogen-fixing shrubs, mostly, seabuckthorn berry. We laid thick sheets of cardboard and then dumped on a good load of old horse poo and mulched around each one, joining to form islands or guilds. Next went in comfrey root cuttings and on top we sewed a mixture of beneficial insect/bee plant seed, mineral miner seeds, herbs and basically anything we had from the seeds saved last year . For minimum effort and a few minutes sewing we produce the possibility of plenty of beneficial plants popping up. The alder hedge, elaeagnus hedge and the edible hedge all got heavily mulched that will hopefully kick start a growth spirt this year.
Nina put the veggy garden to bed under black plastic weighed down by tyres. This should ensure a weed free experience when we next want to use it. We had a general clear up and an all round nice “Bon Voyage” bonfire with Woody to mark the end of a massively productive year at the Patch. Here’s hoping friends and family can enjoy some fresh fruit soon…